OA News (You Could Use) June 10, 2021
Here are some of the latest happenings in the world of ocean acidification in Canada and beyond!
Upcoming OA Events for World Oceans Week – June 7 – 11th
Ocean Week Canada
Please check out their website and Twitter accounts for more details on events happening across Canada next week!
June 10th (4 pm EDT)
Featuring University of Calgary’s own, Samantha Jones (author of the poem “Ocean Acidification”)
Register and find more info here:
Advancing Climate and Ocean Action Through Art, Education and Outreach (Co-Hosted by OA Alliance and Peace Boat US)
There are so many other events happening across the country and beyond! Be sure to explore!
MSc Opportunity in Ocean Acidification (OA) Research
DFO is looking for an MSc candidate to join their multi-disciplinary research team to examine multi-stressor impacts on juvenile shellfish. More specifically, the project will involve the following objectives:
1. Investigate impacts of coinciding climate stressors (e.g. OA, warming) on biological (e.g. growth), physiological (e.g. energetics), and genomic (e.g. gene expression) responses of juvenile shellfish.
2. Compare responses under static and variable stressor conditions to determine whether long-term exposure or acute exposure events (e.g. upwelling events, heatwaves) pose a greater threat to species’ fitness and survival.
3. Investigate whether co-culture of shellfish with macroalgae or sea cucumbers can mitigate climate change impacts and improve resiliency of the aquaculture industry.
The preferred candidate would have:
· Experience/knowledge in wet lab plumbing and tank set up.
· Experience/knowledge in conducting research on marine invertebrates.
· Experience/knowledge in ocean acidification or climate change research.
· Desire to work in a multidisciplinary team.
· Ability to work independently.
· A strong undergraduate track record, including an honour’s degree.
· Good problem-solving skills and resourcefulness.
· A positive attitude and strong work ethic.
The position would start Aug/Sep 2021. The candidate would be based at Fisheries and Oceans Canada’s Pacific Biological Station in Nanaimo, but the MSc degree would be through the University of Victoria. Interested applicants should send an expression of interest letter, recent CV, and undergraduate transcripts to:
Dr. Chris Pearce, Chris.Pearce@dfo-mpo.gc.ca by June 15, 2021.
Did you know that the OA Information exchange now has an Ocean and Coastal Acidification (OCA) Jobs team?
Find it here: https://www.oainfoexchange.org/teams/OCA-Job-Opportunities
New Webinar Recordings:
From Seaweed Days, Cascadia Seaweed presents: Seaweed Sessions!
Find the videos on their YouTube channel here.
New Paper of Interest
Petit-Marty, Natalia, Ivan Nagelkerken, Sean D. Connell, and Celia Schunter. 2021. Natural CO2 seeps reveal adaptive potential to ocean acidification in fish. Evolutionary Applications.
Have a news item you'd like us to feature? Email email@example.com!